Friday, February 27, 2009

The Plague

I have been sick for about a week straight. I've been incubating my illness by hiding underneath my electric blanket, away from the cold air and light. Smart right? It hit me on Sunday afternoon. I had been taking all my vitamins like a good girl, getting plenty of sleep, staying away from germ infested beings, etc... In other words, I was doing everything right. But who ever said that got you anywhere?



I ended up dragging myself to work on Monday for fear that my boss, who has the personality of a tornado, would flip a nutty because I called out. Not my best plan. I got to work and discovered I was the only one in my department. Everyone else was home sick. Tornado was coming in later for a big meeting and called with a laundry list of instructions. Fabulous. I get to work thinking, I'll just make it through the day and then go home and sleep it off. Well, you what they say about the best laid plans...



Midday the delirium sets in. I have a fever. However, being the idiot that I am, I forge on, convinced that I can make a difference and that my efforts will be noticed and rewarded. I stayed, I fact checked, I conquered. Then I passed out. I left at three and didn't go back until Friday morning, much worse for the wear.



Being sick is never fun, but it's always more pleasant when you have those childhood comforts to make you feel better...ginger ale, puffs plus lotion tissues, chicken noodle soup, scrambled eggs. The hardcore stuff. I also have my own illness traditions. For example, since I know that I will not be leaving bed for hours on end, I have to put in a movie that I know I can watch over and over, since let's face it, there is crap on television. This movie is usual something cheesy that I don't have to pay attention to. First choice is always "You've Got Mail." No matter what some non-believers say, there is nothing better than a quality romantic comedy to wash some of the ick of the plague away. I must have been really sick this time. It played six times before bribed someone to come in and change it for me.



So what is the silver lining of being in hibernation, unable to breathe, not sleeping, coughing, shivering and basically on the brink of death from the flu you might ask? Having to walk into a mess on your desk, in your email and mailbox at work?



For anyone who has a Tornado for a boss the answer is simple. You got an induced guilt free vacation from the insanity for a few solid days, where it's illegal for them to harass you about anything. And there ladies and gentlemen, is your silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment