Friday, August 21, 2009

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

So tonight I went out with my best friend for our usual Friday night adventure. I use the term adventure loosely. We usually just do dinner, our weekly ritual run to Target and sometimes add something else to mix things up a bit. Tonight, given that the weather has been heinous all week, we decided to see a movie. Now of course, there was not much out that we wanted to see or hadn't already seen, so we decided on Julie & Julia. Ironically, I had seen this on Monday with another girlfriend, but liked it enough that a second time around was fine with me.

While waiting for our movie to begin, we of course viewed the previews, which I maintain are often the best part of the movie going experience. There was a preview for a movie about a murdered little girl and her family's quest for vengeance. Then there was one for the movie 2012, about the end of the world. I turned to my friend and asked if we were in the right theater. If I'm not mistaken they usually try to do previews appropriate for the movie that is being viewed. For example, you aren't going to put a slasher movie in a preview for Harry Potter.....or would you? We were in the right theater, but I must say, they previews were total crap. But back to my point. This movie about the Mayan prophecy of the world ending in 2012. I would like to send this letter to Hollywood.

Dear Hollywood:

Why do you insist on making movies for people (like me) to obsess over and for others to become depressed? I mean really, so the Mayans didn't make any calendar after 2012. So what? Maybe they just stopped. Maybe the guy in charge of calendar making took a mini holiday and then decided to retire. There could be any number of reasons. Please stop making movies about the end of the world. You just depress people and frankly, depressed people don't go to the movies. Follow my advice and everyone will win and make money: Bring back the big musical. Everyone digs a movie where people spontaneously start singing and dancing in the middle of the street and overly serious conversations.

Love,
Me

In other words, why do we as a culture obsess over the end of our civilization as we know it? I have always studied history and find it completely intriguing and delightful. However, there is one aspect which I always avoid. Prophecies. They freak me out. Nostradamus, The Mayan Calendar, etc...WHY WHY WHY!!!! I see things like that and I start getting so depressed about never seeing my family and friends again. I start to dread leaving home just in case that day is the day. Now, I'm not agoraphobic by any means, but really...don't these types of movies and stories freak anyone else out?

I don't know what the future holds, or even tomorrow for that matter. What I do know is that if we live in fear, we don't really live. These kinds of movies feed on that fear and people end of taking them for truth (not all people, but everyone can name someone who will see it as what is actually going to happen.) I read a story about a guy who was making his living off of this stuff by helping people prepare for doom's day. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I'd like not to think about it, thank you very much. Life is hard enough as it is without worrying if a giant meteor or tsunami is going to take me out.

I don't really know if this is a silver lining post or what, but just a major pet peeve I felt compelled to share with the world (or whoever is reading this blog, which I believe is currently...on one.) Still, it felt good to get it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment