Saturday, August 29, 2009

The End of An Era

This has been at tough Summer for the Kennedy family. First Eunice Kennedy Shriver died in early August. After a life of work for the disabled and special needs, she passed away with quiet dignity met with an out pouring of gratitude, affection, and respect from the people of the world and America. Then, Edward M. Kennedy, more affectionately known as "Teddy" met the inevitable end after a long battle with brain cancer.

I have always had a fascination with the Kennedy family, mainly because of the connection of our name. Living in Massachusetts, you can only imagine how often I get asked if I am related. In reality, we are distantly related, though not through the name. One of my mother's cousins married one of theirs...and so goes the relation. Not much, but needless to say, there has always felt like there is a connection. Not that I am any different from most people in Massachusetts. If you ask most citizens in this state, they will all say that they too feel a special connection to the Kennedy family.

As I've watched and read the news regarding the Senator's passing, I've noticed a few things. One, that the country and world still longs for the days of "Camelot" and with the passing of the family's last "prince" the world feels like it has lost this idealist image. The second, is that sometimes, people can be jerks. Not that I didn't know that already, but it really became apparent this week.

Now I know the history of the Kennedy's. They were wealthy and privileged, and of course, they were in politics. That is like the tri-fecta for a recipe of curiosity and disdain. Politics in itself is a dirty business; always has been. Apart from being all these things, they were flawed human beings. They were not perfect. This country saw two of them cut down in their prime by assassins. We will never know what would have happened if that shot in Texas had not found it's target, or what course our country would have followed had Bobby won the presidential race and taken the office. Coulda, woulda, shoulda's don't really count. What we can talk about is Teddy. Teddy is the only of the Kennedy brothers that lived to old age; to see his children grow and have children of their own, and to die not by sudden tragic circumstances. That's in itself to me is astounding. One brother out of four made it to old age. Five out of nine of the Kennedy children died under terrible conditions. Kathleen and Joe in plane crashes; Jack and Bobby by assassination, and Rosemary simply because after a botched lobotomy, one can only imagine what her life was like until her death. They have always lived in the public eye, through their tragedies and triumphs.

In watching the memorial service and funeral of Edward Moore Kennedy, I learned things I had never know. I didn't realize that his faith was as strong as it is. I didn't realize what a funny and boisterous person he was. And mostly, even though he was Senator of a state I have lived in for 20 years and have voted for him whenever the occasion called for it, I did not realize what he really did for the state or the country. I am ashamed that I never realized it. I did not realize how caring he was for his colleagues, whether on one side of the aisle or another. He cared either way. I never knew that he would take time to talk to an immigrant janitor's mother in Ireland, simply because she was a fan of his. I never knew he took it upon himself to make sure that the Massachusetts families that lost members on 9/11 had everything they needed and were getting the results they needed to heal their lives and move on.

I guess what made me so angry this week, is that despite all this and even more facts that came to light this week, people still had nothing but negative things to say. Damning things. Words that should not be uttered by people that call themselves patriots. Kennedy was a Liberal, there is no doubt. He was also a flawed human, a fact which he never denied. He also had a last name that is known throughout the world. I cannot help but wonder if this outpouring of nasty comments would have been as bad if his name had not been "Kennedy." I saw more comments regarding events in his past. I don't know what happened that night on the bridge, or any other events in his life. No one really does. What I do know is that he served our country for 47 years, lost two brothers while they were in political office, and raised children that were left fatherless, all in service of America. That in itself, whether you agreed with his politics or not, demands respect. Whatever happened in his personal life aside, he was an elected official on the Hill for almost half a century, most of his life.

I am not ashamed to say that I was moved to tears more than once this week when watching coverage of the his memorial service and funeral. I felt even worse after realizing exactly what we had lost. There is something to be said for old school politics like Kennedy's, Republican or Democrat. The senior senators know how to look beyond the good of just their parties, and see the bigger picture. Sometimes, you have to walk across the aisle and just do what is right for the country. I think a lot of younger politicians don't grasp that concept in their zeal to make their name and climb the political ladder in their respective parties. I hope they remember Ted Kennedy and try to emanate his and other older senator's methods.

I wish that people would remember these facts, before they write nasty comments that can never be taken back. Aside from being a politician and a Kennedy, he was a husband, father, grandfather, brother, uncle and friend. He was taken by a disease that effects people from every walk of life, that NO ONE should ever suffer from. He was human. Nasty comments don't hurt him anymore, but they do wound his young grandchildren, who can easily see them. Think before you type. While I may not like certain politicians, I try to remember that in addition to their public face, there is a family behind the scenes. People will say that that type of thing is the price paid for public life. I really don't believe that. People always have a choice. Somethings are just right and wrong.

So the silver lining in this weeks sad events: While Massachusetts lost a long standing Senator and patriot and the Kennedy family lost it's patriarch, I think this sad event might do some good. As I watched the funeral today and saw political foes and friends sitting together to mourn the loss of a common friend and colleague, it gave me hope that maybe a bridge can be built between the parties and comprise can be reached. I hope they do it in memory of a better time, when the world was not so complicated, and the future was not blighted by so many worries. If everyone works together, things will get done faster and things will just be plain easier.

Anyway those are my thoughts. R.I.P. Senator Edward M. Kennedy. We'll take it from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment